If you are stressed for example, then the last thing you might want to do is be sexually intimate. Often however, this is only temporary and everything gets back to normal in a short matter of time.
Sometimes though things don’t improve, and then a sexual problem can become more severe, longer term, and complex. This can have stronger and longer-term effects on your sexuality, your relationships, and your way of life.
Counselling can help address a sexual dysfunction, or emotional block within a relationship. It looks at the links between the physiological and psychological issues which are causing distress, and thus the dysfunction. There may potentially be physical causes exacerbated by medication, alcohol, stress, or illness, which will be also considered and explored during the sessions.
It is possible through discussing these areas with you in the counselling sessions, that a behavioural programme may also help work on the issue. This can help to explore the sexual problem and begin the process of change.
We have also found that hypnosis is a powerful method for working for sexual issues when looking to make changes and gain deeper understanding. Our expertise enables us to use this approach with you safely and effectively.
What Kinds of Sexual Dysfunction are There?
The main dysfunctions for men are:
- Erectile failure: the inability to maintain an erection sufficiently to allow penetration.
- Premature Ejaculation: this is the inability to control the timing of ejaculation, which then occurs too soon.
- Retarded Ejaculation: An inability to ejaculate at all, or intercourse taking too long before ejaculation takes place.
The main dysfunctions for women are:
- Vaginismus: involuntary spasm of the muscles around the vagina, which make sexual intercourse impossible.
- Dyspareunia: Penetration is painful.
- Orgasmic Dysfunction: an inability to experience an orgasm.
- Low sexual drive.
Most sexual problems originate from within the mind, so counselling is most often very successful.
To arrange your first session simply call us on 01206 841650, 07949 392248, or send us a message here.